PEN, Mission4HIV Lynnwoodrif, Building Hope Foundation, FPD, Ke-a-Bona Oog Kliniek , Department Gesondheid Pediatrie, Hartgesondheid en Tandheelkunde en The Church of the Nazarene het saamgewerk om ‘n algehele gesondheidsdag vir die Eersterust gemeenskap aan te bied.
Dienste het kroniese siektes, MIV en TB toetse, pediatriese ondersoeke, cholestrol en bloeddruk, diabetes, oog toetse, gesinsbeplanning en wondsorg ingesluit.
Deur al hierdie dienste saam aan te bied, help dit om MIV te normaliseer. Die samewerking tussen kerke en gesondheidsdienste speel ook ‘n belangrike rol om die kerk relevant tot die gemeenskap te maak.
Dit is op 25 en 26 September 2013 aangebied met HIV/AIDS Cube opleiding wat vooraf in die gemeenskap, deur Hannes, aangebied is.
Hannes het saam met die raadslid van Eersterust, Mnr Ingel, die voortou geneem en saam vir MIV gaan toets. Ek het die HIV/AIDS Cube en die HIV iPosters impromptu aan ‘n groepie kinders wat vanself daar kom sit het, alles rondom MIV verduidelik. Die spontaniteit van die kinders was soos ‘n vars bries, teenoor die volwassenes wat baie sku was om vir MIV te toets of selfs daaroor te praat.
Elzaan shared the story of a 12-year old boy, who came to the day, who knows his status from birth but also denies it to himself and just wants to be “normal” like other kids. He was not on treatment and the various role-players were activated to support this boy and his family, starting with treatment and social services.
- There should be a long-standing relationship with the local clinic prior to any event.
- The role-players must be on-board from the beginning of the planning and envisioning of such an event.
- Health promoters must activate community participation – especially at the crèche and primary schools in order to provide pediatric services to children.
- There must be very good marketing, not only posters, and buy-in from all the participants. More work can be put into marketing and done on ground-level.
- The expectations from the role-players must be clear from the beginning.
- Eight Community leaders asked for a similar health day in their areas, due to this health day. Viewing the response from these leaders of the health day, it did make a mark in the community.
- The health day did open doors between community members. People want to become involved in churches and its relevant role in the community.
- The Church (in general) did make a difference in the community and the Church of the Nazarene would like provide more community services. 12 New members joined the church because of its relevancy to the community.
- Everyone concluded that although the DOH District Services only joined the initiative at a late stage, it was a succesfull day.